29 March 2013

Now she’s lit by the warm orange spreading from the horizon as not-quite-day, becomes not-quite-night...

The first four years of my life were spent in a little town called Grand Lake Stream. Located in the part of Maine that is referred to as the Downeast Lakes Region, this beautiful piece of the state is home to less than one hundred year-round residents. My fathers childhood home was the second house built in Grand Lake, over one hundred and twenty years ago now, and it was in that same home that I celebrated four of my birthdays.

My love of water started in, and because of Grand Lake. Surrounded by two major lakes and one lazy and winding river, Grand Lake is the perfect place to get me out of my head and back in to my soul. My fathers and my childhood home now serves as a summer getaway, which my family and I frequent during the months of June, July, and August. When I visit, the first thing I do after arriving is walk down to the lake, sit on the dock and watch the sun set over the water. I can't explain the feeling that wells within me when I witness the days end there. It's almost like I feel closer to heaven there more than anywhere else.

Recently, I have been thinking a lot about those sunsets and I'm finding myself almost longing for them. I haven't decided if its the scenery or the feeling associated with it that I miss the most, but I do know why such emotions are persisting. I'm too much in my head and too little into my soul....

















No comments:

Post a Comment